Sunday, January 17, 2010

Nursing Home Visits


When Gabriel was an infant, we attended a monthly play date at a nursing home. Later, when we lived in Miami, I asked the organizer of our playgroup if I could contact nursing homes to arrange something similar. Since there are a lot of nursing homes in Florida, I thought it would be an easy event to arrange. She told me that no one would attend so I shouldn't waste my time.
I have been an organizer of a playgroup here in Iowa for two years. In October, I finally contacted an activity director at a local nursing home. I wasn't sure if other families in the play group would want to go with me or if the activity director would want a bunch of babies and preschoolers to visit the nursing home. I was nervous when I talked to her!
The playgroup recently went to its 4th event at the nursing home. I have also taken my children aside from the playgroup. I leave with warm fuzzies every time. I wish I had done this a long time ago!
In my own small way, I feel like I'm helping someone. Maybe I am brightening their day when I bring the kids in? I hope so because they are giving me back a lot in return.
My mother and sister have been working in nursing homes for years. One time I said, "your job is gross.," to my sister. I think I offended her and didn't get the opportunity to explain what I meant. Sometimes words jump out of my mouth and I wish I could catch them and rearrange them.
What I meant to say was... I admire what you do. I am happy you are someone who chose to help people, especially people who seem to be forgotten in our society. I don't think I could do it because dealing with death is difficult for me. (let alone feces)
If you're thinking about making a difference, even if it seems small, do it. You won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message, we are glad you stopped by!