Friday, December 13, 2013

Paint this!

We were given a beautiful round table with a leaf to make it big enough for all of us   The base has incredible clawlike feet but it was a boring ugly color.  Andrew and I transformed the table and we learned a lot in the process. 
We took the table apart and painted the base a light blue.  The blue reminds me if the lightest waves of our beloved ocean  It took a few coats of paint and I learned I'm awful with paint drips. 


If I thought the base was a learning experience, I had no idea what was to come with the table top. It took us a couple weekends to figure out how to stain the top a deep hazelnut. It's dark and gorgeous. 
However, we learned the hard way that you can't scrub the stain. It causes a huge mess in the wood. It took forever for the stain to dry for us to protect it with polyurethane. We might have to restain the top in the future. 

I painted the trim on the side a bright white.  After a few coats of white, I gave up on a perfect looking pure white and went for shabby chic instead. 
Andrew figured out how to attach the top to the base with the stripped screws and some missing hardware. 


I added white shabby chic chairs with blue seat cushions and I am thrilled.  It took us several weekends to do the work but we ended up with our favorite masterpiece. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message, we are glad you stopped by!