Sunday, June 5, 2011

Getting greener: laundry soap

I've wanted to make laundry detergent for two years. I kept losing my nerve. It's much faster to pick up a bottle of detergent at the store, I thought. The problem is that I'm working in being greener and using less chemicals. It's very expensive to buy ready made products that fit these categories.
I picked up washing soda, borax, and Ivory soap at the store I grated the soap and added one cup of each of the other ingredients in the food processor. It took a few minutes to assemble and put together. The total cost per wash will be pennies because I'll only use 1-2 tablespoons per load. Next up will be homemade household cleaner and dishwasher detergent.
I also ordered lavender essential oil to add to the mixture. It honestly isn't needed because it smells fresh from the Ivory soap. When it arrives I'll add it and see if it smells even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message, we are glad you stopped by!