Thursday, June 9, 2011

Pass/Fail?


Lane failed several hearing tests which resulted in tubes being put in her ears over a month ago. I took her back to the ENT and audiologist last week. It was a brutal, long wait with all three children but it's tough to complain with the flooding and destruction going on around us. The receptionist gave us some post it notes and we made the most of our game players while in the waiting room.
The kids also played with two other children in the waiting room. Their mother is due with her fourth child any day and she looked miserable. She proceeded to tell me about her third child passing away recently and shared photos. I felt awful for her and it was an awkward moment between two strangers who only shared motherhood in common. That and a long wait in a waiting room.
The ENT said that her tubes looked great and we moved on to the audiologist. I was prepared to hear the worst. We had been warned when her tubes were put in that she didn't have fluid and would probably need many tests to determine her hearing loss.
The audiologist showed me the results after we sat in the soundproof room (I hate sitting in those rooms because I can hear myself breathing. I never know what I'm allowed to say either). My heart raced and I felt lightheaded when I looked at the computer screen. The wavy lines meant nothing to me which is tough to admit after working with them for years in math courses.
He explained that her lines are far away from each other and that point in time she is hearing fine. She PASSED!! Oh sweet relief washed over me. I cried happy tears and told him how grateful I was for good news. I honestly wanted to hug him but realized he appreciated his personal space.
I have noticed that her speech is improving as well. She is putting some two word sentences together now - "my baby" "hi dada" etc...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message, we are glad you stopped by!