Sunday, July 24, 2011

Stepford Wives?


We moved to Celebration, Florida. It's a gorgeous community with everything from apartments to mega-mansions. We live in a townhouse, a couple blocks from the downtown area and look forward to taking advantage of the short walk to the Farmer's Market, restaurants, and other happenings. We have thought this is the type of lifestyle we want for years and now we can give it a whirl to see if we really like it.
However, it has a Stepford Wives feel when you enter the community. Several friends have made the same comment to me. It seems too perfect. There is no garbage anywhere to be found. The lawns are perfectly cut. People walk their quiet dogs on the flower lines streets. Tourists can be seen taking segway tours here.
Andrew even got upset at me for putting empty boxes on the back deck. I put them there to give us some room while we unpacked, knowing I would put them in the trash later. It completely unnerved him. If you know my husband, this is not his style at all.
As I left the community the other day, I watched a man about my age scrub his sidwalk. Oh yes, I said SIDEWALK! He had a large brush, sudsy water, and some type of chemical.
Hopefully I find some friends out of the 9000 residents. I have little hope in having much in common with someone who scrubs their sidwalk though

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message, we are glad you stopped by!