Friday, January 25, 2013

I miss sleep

As a friend and I joked about putting double baby gates on the kids rooms in order to get a full night of sleep, I remembered that parenting does not end just because it's bed time. But goodness, I wish it did. I wish parenting meant a time clock where I could get 8 hours of sleep. I'm pretty sure that's why I was a good preschool teacher and a darn good nanny. I got a full night of sleep unless I chose otherwise.
I haven't gotten a full night of sleep since our first son was born over 8 years ago. One of my three lovlies climbs into bed with us. Some nights all three of the kids crawl into our bed. On these nights, one of the adults in our home ends up sleeping in a child's bed. And really, that is the best sleep I get other than an occassional nap. Every professional or otherwise has a theory, thought, or belief on this topic. We spoil the kids. We did too much attachment parenting. We need to make the kids sleep in their own beds.
Whatever the thought process, Gabriel has needed someone sleeping with him since he was a baby. There are few nights when he sleeps in his own bed, alone, the entire night. I think it has to do with his sensory processing disorder. Alex is now 6 and most nights he can sleep on his own but Lane, our sweet 3 year old, has no interest in sleeping alone yet.
We move Lane to her own bed after she falls asleep and by 10:30, she is crying and climbing back in our bed. I dont know why but there she is every night, curled up in our bed.
Thankfully we are short people. We can fit in a queen bed but it isn't comfortable with five people.
Many nights, when a child is fighting going to sleep, I think of the video/book called "go the F^$& to sleep."

But tonight Lane is slumbering soundly on my chest as I write this and listen to a movie in the background.
It's these peaceful moments of parenting when I remember that it won't be long when these three children won't be children any more. I will long to hear their breathy snoring one more time. I will long for these moments when they were little. So, I want both... I want sweet children who need me in the nighttime because I am still a parent to little ones and I want a full night of sleep. I guess a girl can't have everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message, we are glad you stopped by!