Thursday, September 8, 2011

TWIGS


We are members of ASGO - Autism Society of Greater Orlando. I found out about a scholarship to become an advocate through ASGO the night before it was due. I decided to send in an application because I want to help children with special needs. I didn't think I had a chance since it was the night before and I didn't get to take the time I felt the application deserved. However, I am honored to report that I am a receipient of the scholarship. I will become an advocate in May after attending the TWIGS advocate training program.
Here is a supplmental letter I wrote:

After I submitted my application, I didn't feel like my summary truly represented me and my passion for children and their rights. I didn't realize that advocates exist to help parents with their rights until it was brought to my attention recently. I get goose bumps when I consider this as a possibility for me. I have a huge desire to help people but never felt like I found my niche in the world. I love being a stay-at-home mother and I love volunteering but something feels missing in my world. I believe being an advocate is the answer for me.
My now 30 year old brother is 75% hearing impaired. When he was in the second grade, my parents moved to a small town. Accomodations were not made for my brother and it was a constant battle for them. They were given the option of putting their small child on a bus for transportation 1.5 hours each way to the hearing impaired and deaf school. They had few options and didn't want him on the bus three hours a day. They decided to home school him. Though it worked out for them, this was not what they wanted to do. I think an avocate would have helped them get what my brother needed out of the school system.
I remember telling parents to be an advocate for their child when I taught preschool/PreK. I was in my son's IEP meeting today and refelected on the importance of feeling empowered by knowledge. It's so easy to say "be an advocate" but the implications are far more complicated. Until I was a parent of a special needs child, I had no idea what it would feel like or how difficult it is to parent a child with special needs. I certainly never realized I would need to understand a booklet of my rights because not everyone has my child's best interest at heart.
It is with this past experience, my educational experience, and more that I would like to help other parents. All systems are flawed but it's a sea of paperwork for parents of special need children who might already feel overwhelmed by what they are dealing with daily. I want to empower these parents. They need it. Their children deserve it.
Thank you for considering me for this scholarship.
Sincerely,
Jessica M. Fredrick

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message, we are glad you stopped by!