Sunday, November 18, 2012

Good-bye Ceremony

A 2 year old classmate and friend of Lane's passed away on October 27. I don't know the details, only that she was rushed to the hospital by ambulance. I don't know the family well but I did see the mom and child at the school often last spring and this fall.
I explained the situation to Lane and she was adamant when she told me that Elizabeth is not dead but sick. Lane had tears in her eyes and did not want to discuss the issue any more. I was surprised that she has any understanding of death because Lane hasn't experienced a loss through death yet.
The preschool collected gift cards for the family and then had a good-bye ceremony with Elizabeth's family and her classmates. The ceremony was held on Friday in the late morning.
It was a cloudy, gloomy day when I drove back to the preschool. As I walked toward the school, my heart grew heavier. The pink balloons could be seen from the parking lot, bouncing in air while children held them tight. The lead teacher talked to the children about Elizabeth and then counted to three. On the count of three, over 20 light pink balloons carrying notes and pictures written by the preschoolers floated slowly into the sky.



I entered the play area of the Montessori and saw a large framed photo of vibrant, young Elizabeth. Next to the photo was a vase of white flowers. The children stood to the side of the play area with adults in a circle.


Elizabeth's mother sat on a chair, clutching a pink scrapbook given to her from the teachers. The children were invited to hug her mother and they did. I hugged her and thanked her for sharing Elizabeth with us.
I can not express the deep sadness I felt when I witnessed this grieving mother. It has weighed heavily on my heart and soul since Friday. I've held my little ones tighter the past few weeks, terrified at the thought of losing them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message, we are glad you stopped by!