Sunday, May 11, 2014

Really? A balloon?


The kids have been arguing and yelling about the most ridiculous things lately. While I validate their feelings and attempt to understand their young worlds, I was finally fed up with their lack of sharing.  It finally became too much when the boys screamed at each other over a balloon. 
The playroom had 15 balloons I had blown up the day before yet the boys could not share a blue balloon. Alex screamed about his favorite blue balloon and Gabriel wanted to add it to the collection he made with Lane. After ten minutes of screaming at each other as well as physical attempts to obtain the balloon, I snapped 
I wasn't going to simply take the balloons away. I grabbed the scissors and popped every balloon I saw in the play room. I didn't say a word and just cut the tips off those balloons.  
During the balloon slaughter, the doorbell rang. Our neighbor stood on the porch with a slight smile. All I could think to say was "would you mind coming back because we are in the middle of autistic meltdowns". Really, this is probably typical sibling behavior but since the kids were screaming and there was no way I was going to explain the situation. How could he not hear them while standing on the front porch?  
Apparently while I answered the door, the  kids banded together and hid balloons upstairs.  I thought about ruining their plan but noticed that they were working together and laughing.  They were laughing! Finally, some sweet moments returned to our angry, loud household 


Later Gabriel told me that they hid four balloons upstairs like the Easter bunny.  What a funny way to tell me about it.  When it comes to autism, it is nice that Gabriel, at age 9, sill has no concept of lying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message, we are glad you stopped by!