Saturday, June 21, 2014

Houdini

Gabriel has become a challenge to take anywhere in the car.  It began the end of April or beginning of May when he decided he wanted he didn't want to escape the van. He was able to jump in the front seat and open the door while I drove on a busy highway.  Thank God I was able to grab his shirt while maneuvering the van to the side of the highway.  
Things have become increasingly challenging. He rips hair our of hair, bites, hits, and kicks while we attempt to drive. I take vehicle safety seriously and I want to vomit every time his aggressive behavior rears its ugly head in the car. 
We don't know when he will want to escape from the car or when he will be fine traveling somewhere.  One particularly bad incident lasted for over an hour.  I was happy to have Andrew in the car with me so one of us could work with Gabriel while the other drove.  I picked the Gabriel challenge which resulted in multiple bites and bruises. Another incident was scary when Gabriel grabbed the key out of the ignition when I pulled into a parking lot. I wasn't expecting that maneuver. 
Our behavior therapist suggested a car safety vest.  I have been stuck in the house for a few weeks because I can't trust his reactions in the car. I ordered the EZ On vest for him

This photo is from espcialneeds.com
The online photos show children with huge smiles as they wear their vest in the car. I was skeptical.   I approached Gabriel with the new vest and explained that it was cool like a race car driver and showed him photos of the race car drivers in safety vests.  
It did not work  
He hates the thing. He strapped him in it because we want to do something as a family.  I'm sick of staying at home all the time and so are his siblings.  We are going stir crazy.
Then there is the battle in my head.  He hates gojng anywhere so should I push him to go places?  On the other hand, he needs to continue to work on typical situations and learn how to react appropriately.
My child escaped the vest!  Of course my hypotonia child would be able to wiggle out of the vest. He had a monstrous grin on his face as he explained that he did not want to use the ugly red vest.  
My hope is that in our haste, we used the device incorrectly.  It's an expensive piece of equipment so I hope we can make some adjustments and get all of is out of the house again! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message, we are glad you stopped by!