Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Dollhouses

When I was a little girl I wanted a wooden dollhouse. I thought they were the neatest thing ever. What a great way to show the dreams you hold about your home by decorating and painting a dollhouse.
In college I met a friend who held dollhouses close to her heart too. We would marvel at the electric wiring available for dollhouses and pick out carpeting and paint. Playing house before we could afford to decorate a real home the way we wanted.
When Andrew was in his first year of law school, he made a dollhouse for me. It was one of the most thoughtful and generous gifts I've received. All of his free time went into assembling a two story dollhouse.
Over the years I was given things to add to the dollhouse. This included a handmade cage with an iguana from a good friend, a cake from another friend, and handmade rugs and blankets from my great grandmother
The dollhouse has traveled with us on every move. This last move it lost the front porch and looked quite pathetic.
I gave Lane some people because as an adult, I never had any. She didn't play with it and I was beginning to consider throwing it away
Until Lane asked to get the dollhouse down the other day. She was so happy putting the baby on the potty, setting up the furniture, and moving the people in the home. I grabbed my hot glue gun and started fixing things that had fallen off. And like any other home improvement project, it looked much better.
I guess the old dollhouse is a keeper after all. (yes, Lane I wearing a crown in the photo. It has become a necessary fashion statement lately)

1 comment:

  1. What fun to share your dollhouse with your daughter! And I think every girl should have a crown in fact Jessica where is yours?

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message, we are glad you stopped by!