Friday, August 9, 2013

Clean Smiles!


I have been a bad mommy when it comes to dental appointments. I haven't taken the kids to the dentist since we moved two years ago.  I'm ashamed to admit that I let the appointments go so long and I will admit that it was the anxiety of finding a decent pediatric dentist along with my children's reactions that made it easy for me to overlook these dental visits.  If you knew me a couple years ago, you might be surprised I missed an appointment let alone three.  
I looked up a pediatric dentist who was covered by our insurance and found a place in Melbourne, just over 30 minutes from our house. The photo of the building looked cheerful and the person on the phone was pleasant. I was even able to get all three kids in at the same time and on the same day! I did not want to take them alone but Andrew has to work so off I went...
Lane was nervous about the appointment and Gabriel wasn't speaking clearly and hasn't since his EEG appointment.  His anxiety has thrown him for a monster loop.  Alex, well, he was engrossed in his chess game. 
We arrived and everyone was friendly and welcoming. Their waiting area had games and that impressed Alex.  They called our names minutes after we arrived and gave us a little tour. 
The boys picked out a toothbrush and a toothpaste flavor. They laid down and put on head phones while watching the cartoon of their choice.  I was in awe.  Gabriel calmed down and actually had a conversation, which is much better than his constant questions that come with his anxiety in new situations. 
Lane got to brush Nemo and Nemo's moms teeth.  



She took her job very seriously. 


Alex did great at his exam. He didn't like the flavored toothpaste at all though and needed it changed to something bland 


Gabriel was a trooper.  I was so proud of him! 


Lane did fine for her first dental visit. I forgot about her sensory issues and how easily she gags   Poor little girl had a tough time and started crying because she was gagging from the dental tools. She made it through, mostly because the staff and dentist were so patient and kind. They counted her princess teeth to make sure she is a princess. The dentist gave her two princess stickers and Lane was over the moon happy because "she never got two stickers from a doctor before."  


Appointments are set for February.   The best news? No cavities! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message, we are glad you stopped by!