Sunday, November 24, 2013

Oktoberfest in Celebration

We drove to Oktoberfest in Celebration, forty minutes away.  We listened to fabulous live music and my children danced their hearts out.  We ate yummy food and had great drinks   



The kids also had a photo taken with Hello Kitty, something we haven't done in a while. They all love Hello Kitty.


Two things stand out from our day.  Gabriel, who usually is color obsessed, refused to wear a dark brown fall shirt I picked out for him. It wasn't the color that cause the issue, but the material. It is a light cord material and he refused to look like a cowboy.


The downtown drops paper leaves three times a night and the kids were excited to collect the leaves.  We stood under the leave collecting spot. 
Alex walked to the side and Andrew followed him.  Within seconds, Andrew came back in a panic because he could no longer find Alex.   I grabbed the other two children's hands and told Andrew to continue  searching for Alex. 
My stomach did flips as the minutes ticked on.  I wanted to scream at the happy crowd.  How the hell could everyone be so joyful when I was in an obvious panic? No one asked what was going on or if they could help as I called Alex's name. 
After 7 minutes, I walked to the nearest restaurant and asked them to contact a police officer to help me find my seven year old son. The restaurant worker didnt know want to do and found the manager.  
By the time the manager arrived to talk to me, Alex had been missing for twelve long minutes.  He has never been missing this long. My head was going to explode and I silently plead with God.  Please let him go home with someone who just wants a little boy and not some awful child abusing killer.  Please.  
Lane yelled at me because I was gripping he hand too hard.  I tried to imagine if I could live without Alex.  How would I go from the mother of three to two? How would I refrain from blaming Andrew for losing sight of Alex? 
I pulled out my phone and showed the manager the last photo I took of Alex, happily eating cheese pizza   
After 17 minutes, Andrew found Alex standing with a police officer.  Alex was found at a different section of the street, crying.  He wouldn't talk to anyone but stood with the police officer while they looked for us. 
We left Oktoberfest immediately. I couldn't handle the crowd any longer. I was shaking and the adrenaline was slowly wearing off.  I am beyond grateful that Alex was found and he was safe. 
We stopped at Joe's Crab Shack for dessert for the kids.  The Mad Hatter created balloon characters for them and all was well.


 I hope I never have to experience the terror of a missing child again. I wish no one had to experience that nightmare. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message, we are glad you stopped by!