Sunday, April 21, 2013

I Can Sew!

About a year ago, Lane came from school with a cute sewn smiley face. She keeps it on her wall in her room and she has told me several times that she can sew. I've wanted to recreate that opportunity at home but I wasn't sure how to do it safely.
I found plastic needles at the store. I didn't know they existed so I purchased a four pack of needles. Then I went on a hunt for burlap. I looked online but I couldn't find what I wanted but a trip to Joann's was successful.
I cut the burlap into squares and added colorful masking tape to the edges. I'm amazed by the different colors of tape too - duct tape isn't just silver any more! Then I cut yarn and thred it through the needle and knotted the end.
I wasn't even done putting the basket together when I saw Lane sewing! She was so proud her creation and told me that she was the best sewing girl and could teach her friends to see too.
I love this idea. It's a great practical life skill and great for fine motor skills. This activity also provides a cute finished project that the child can be proud of making.











No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message, we are glad you stopped by!