Friday, April 5, 2013

Thou Shalt Not Covet


Due to a book I'm reading, I've been thinking about the numerous laws written in the Bible. The tenth commandment spoke to me today. The tenth commandment reads: Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's. (Exodus 20:17)
I didn't think I covet many things. A red sports car would be nice, or a wardrobe full of brad new Talbots and Banana Republic clothing, or a thinner body. But I know I can live without these things so they don't seem to be an unbelieveable desire that overtakes my life. Then I wondered how far does this coveting appply?
Can coveting apply to goals? I want to make a higher income to pay off bills and live debt free. Is that coveting? It's a huge desire of mine. Or does that just count as a goal? I wouldn't steal or do anything illegal to reach that goal so maybe it doesn't count as coveting? Is that the qualifier in modern day life?
I don't want my neighbor's ox or ass. Or his maidservant though it would be wonderful to justify having a house cleaner again. Maybe I do covet a house cleaner now that I write this out.
Then again, I read that maidservant and manservant has to do with slaves and not paid employees so maybe that isn't coveting after all. This coveting idea is confusing.
When I thought about what I covet the most, it lies with my children. I wish they didn't have to deal with disabilities or things that require surgery. Not because I view them as any less, I see my children as more capable and amazing because they overcome obstacles greater than many people in our great country. However, I am not a parent who is "thankful for their disabilities" nor am I a parent "who wouldn't change them."
I would take away their disabilities. I don't want to see them struggle. I covet that their life would be easier and that they would be happy and settle into wonderful adult lives. I want the autism, the speech delays, the ADHD, the OCD, the heart defects, the sensory processessing disorders, the eye issues, all of it taken away.
Yet I know these are things that make them unique. They would not be the little people they are without these unique traits and challenges and that is where I struggle. I want them to have typical lives but maybe out of the disabilities and challenges is where their greatness will rise. I watch my 8 year old struggle with being different almost every day. He doesn't want to be different yet it is obvious that he is not like his peers.
While I not so secretly covet what comes so easily to other children, I know I am a different person 8 years into being a parent than I was before due to my children's existence. I covet differently than I did 8 years ago. I no longer want the black Mercedes or the house with the pool and hot tub. I want my children to have the best that life has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message, we are glad you stopped by!