Thursday, April 4, 2013

MaScArA!

I don't wear makeup and dry my hair often. I suppose it's even less often than I care to admit. Andrew and I had an opportunity to go out to dinner without the children so it was the perfect time to play with make up and feel girly again.
Lane walked into the bathroom and I swear she was mesmerized by what I was doing. I asked her to throw away an old mascara. She took the container and walked to the bathroom trash can. She stopped midway and turned back around, walking toward me. I asked her again to be helpful by throwing it away.
She asked, "Can I have it instead?"
I have ideas about makeup and preschool girls. I don't think it's appopriate for little girls in any way. She has plastic makeup and chapstick to play with in her room and that seems just right for a three year old.
Then I looked at her big greenish-blue eyes and melted. My ideas flew out the window. Kind of. In that quick second, I decided it's better that she practice makeup with me rather than investigate it when I'm in another room. I can imagine the mess she can make with real makeup after she's demolished her chapstick all over her face.
So Lane sat on our large counter looking into the mirror, raising the mascara wand up and down... up and down... She told me that she looked beautiful. She seemed to want confirmation and I told her that she looked beautiful and perfect to me, with or without makeup.
This was her final look:

I'm glad I changed my mind. I still don't want her to wear makeup and she hasn't asked again. It was a nice moment to watch her play grown up with my makeup. I'm sure there are many more of these moments to come in our future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message, we are glad you stopped by!