Saturday, April 20, 2013

Practical Toast

I believe in teaching my children practical living skills. I realized this was important when I moved into the dorms in college. I was surprised by how many students didn't know how to sort laundry, pay bills, or cook a simple meal. (We only had a microwave available in the dorms!)
The other day Alex wanted toast for a snack. I told him that he should go ahead sync make it. He protested This is a fantastic learning opportunity - I thought.
I was shocked that I had to give the kids step by step instructions on how to make toast.
I was surprised because they have a toy toaster and while I haven't allowed them to plug in or uses appliances, I thought they could apply the knowledge of using the toy to the real toaster.
It wasn't the case as I explained to plug in the toaster. Put the bread in the slot. Push the lever down. The key point was until it clicked.
They couldn't believe that the bread was hot when it came out of the toaster. It was such a funny parenting moment. They complained about the heat until the toast cooled down enough for then to touch their snack.
I will have many more teachable moments. If something should happen to me unexpectedly, at least my three children are able to make toast.
Lane has since found joy in toast with cheddar cheese in the middle while the boys are sticking to peanut butter and jelly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message, we are glad you stopped by!