Sunday, September 8, 2013

A hug, Dd, Senses, and Texture

This past week Lane and I worked on the letter D. We made a dog puppet, a D duck complete with feathers, and practiced writing the letter D. Lane didn't write many letters until recently and her progress has been significant. I'm really proud of her.


We are also working on the Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons by Engelmann. I need to get into a better routine with her. She works well on that book because she learned the letter sounds in Montessori and understands putting the sounds together to make words but we need to work on it more. Practice, practice, practice....

I read the book, What Happens When You Use Your Senses? to Lane. She already knew a lot about the senses so it was an easy topic to cover. She fascinated by seeing eye dogs and asked a very important question - what would happen if the dog went blind too? We covered our eyes and our ears to see what it was like to not have hearing or vision. It was fascinating to her.
We created a "Lane has 5 senses" masterpiece. It includes her traced hands and a little paper face. I got the idea from this web site: http://www.littlegiraffes.com/fivesenses.html


I taught Lane about textures since we learned about senses. We traced her hand and added five textures, one on each finger. The textures were hard, soft, bumpy, rough, and smooth. I walked around the house with her and pointed out items that fit each of the textures and then we glued little things to the hand to represent each texture.
I got the idea from this web site:
http://bainbridgeclass.blogspot.com/2012/01/handy-way-to-learn-about-texture.html



Our last project was a hug from Lane for Grandparent's Day. It will arrive late but we sent it prior to Grandparent's Day and lately that is as good as it gets in this house. We put two painted hand prints on yarn and sent a hug to her grandparents. I hope they like because Lane giggled away when I painted her little hands.


On the way home from a store, Lane told me that she shouldn't go back to school   because she doesn't want me to be lonely.  I explained that I will be fine when she goes back to school but she was very worried that I wouldn't know what to do without her at home.  I couldn't ease her fears by explaining that I found things to do before I had kids and I am sure I can figure it out when they are in school.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message, we are glad you stopped by!