Saturday, September 14, 2013

Six week preschool

I'm a member of a home school group in the central Florida area. It's free so it's not a huge membership commitment. I joined when the issues with the boys at the public school began at our last school. I keep the idea in my back pocket, just in case we hit walls and can't deal with the public school system any more.
It bothers me that I have to continue to think about home schooling. I think it's fine and some people are really great at home schooling. I don't think I'm one of those people. I am fine with the idea of school. Just as a whole the system in Florida is a broken mess. There are great people who have their heart in the right place but there are butting heads with a system that doesn't have enough money, time, or the correct laws in place to help the students. Many teachers are stuck in a box and don't think creatively to help their students be successful. I don't blame the teachers, most of them any way. They have a job to do that is measured by bench marks, scores, and passing grades. The power has been taken away from them.
Whew... in any case, I remain in the home school even after the boys are back in school full time because I am home schooling Lane and I want to stay up to date on things if the days comes when I am against a wall and need to keep the boys home.
The owner of the group rents an office building type space for classes for home schooling families. It's a neat idea. One teacher started a preschool class for 3-5 year old children. The fee was nominal. I want Lane to remain used to the idea of attending courses, even if it is with me so I signed her up for the six week course. I don't want Pre-K to come as a complete shock next year, though I'm unsure if anything ever prepares a child for attending school every day. 


She LOVED it. She learned about tractors during the hour session. She sang songs, counted, ate a mud snack, colored, and counted. Lane also painted brown mud with a green tractor. I really like these types of activities and used to do them with the boys often when they were this age. When it's just Lane and I, I don't feel like I get as creative though so I fully appreciate another adult pulling the activities together.
Even though Lane loved it, I was a little disappointed. Other mothers had to bring their infants to the class. I understand completely and without their preschooler attendance, we might not have a preschool class at all. The class consists of five students and we need all of the kids there. It was also an hour drive to get to the class. I was misinformed as to the location when I signed up and it was much farther than I thought. I will continue the class through the six weeks but I don't want to continue to drive an hour for an hour class. I don't even want to figure out how much I'm spending on gas for the drive. However, she loves it and it's paid for so we might as well continue to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message, we are glad you stopped by!