Thursday, August 4, 2011

Alex turns 5 - soon

Alexander Henry was born 4 weeks early on August 9, 2006. The hospital staff called him the "healthiest preemie ever" though I didn't truly consider him a preemie, he technically was one. He was 7 lbs 3 oz and looked like a smaller version of his older brother.
I remember the day like it was yesterday, rather than five years ago. For some reason, he's stuck at age three in my mind. When I reach for clothing and it's a size 5T or 6, I can't believe it's for my little guy.
Until Lane was born, he was my baby. I didn't think we would have more children and tried to enjoy all of his babyhood, even with an active toddler in the house.


Even though it seems like we just brought him home from the hospital, I can barely remember life without him either. Is this a phenomenon familiar to other parents as well? Time is completely skewed.
He is definitely a "big" boy now but I know in the coming years, age 5 will seem like he was still a little guy. It's a challenge for me to move beyond the concept of him being my baby to him needing to be more independent and responsible.
He is a child who is sensitive, stubborn, intelligent, athletic, and comical. I think he will go far in life if he applies himself and takes advantage of things life has offered him. I am blessed to have him as my son.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message, we are glad you stopped by!