Friday, January 27, 2012

Lane's first day of school

Lane started preschool yesterday. I wasn't planning on sending her until the fall but I found a Montesorri teacher here who I adore. She has a small class and does a great job with the kids. There was an opening so she started preschool a few months earlier than I anticipated.
I wasn't looking forward to grilling the schools in the area about their teachers and cirriculum. I didn't want line up appointments to visit schools or figure out a budget for preschool. This is the perfect solution for us.
She is ready. She has wanted to go to school since the boys started in the fall. Any time we go to the school, she wants to go with them. She attends Thursday and Friday morning for a couple hours each morning. I love that she will go consecutive days and for only a few hours. It will be an easier transition than an all day program at this point in her life.
Another reason for preschool is that I have been unable to get into a good routine with her since we moved here. We used to attend playdates, story time, volunteer opportunites together in Sioux City but I haven't gotten into that type of groove with her here. I want her to have some type of routine that includes educational and social development.
Lane was giddy yesterday morning. She was dancing and very excited to go to "Princess" school as she called it. That is until we pulled up to the school. Then she melted and started crying. I felt horrible but decided it was best to follow through.
I kissed her goodbye and left with my heavy heart. The couple hours went fast and I showed up half an hour early - OOPS! Lane was happily playing in the back yard with her friends. When I saw her huge smile and heard she sang songs and interacted with the other children, I knew I made the right decision.


We have been battling the flu at our house this week. Yesterday I glued some scrapbook paper to an old oatmeal container. It will become a headband holder for Lane but she thought it was the coolest thing ever. She filled it with my glue sticks for HOURS. I was able to rest and listen to her count to 5. It was the best 69 cents I've spent in a while!

1 comment:

  1. Aren't those moments awesome when they actually get into something and you can just watch their little minds work!??!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message, we are glad you stopped by!