Monday, January 30, 2012

ASGO bowling


I am coordinating events for an elementary school social skills group for ASGO. ASGO is the autism support group of great Orlando. I have 18 children in my group plus their siblings.
The task isn't overwhelming as it's only four events over Feb-April, one per month. Since I'm "new" to the area, it isn't an easy task either. I probably should have taken this role on in another year but no one else was stepping up to the task, so I did.
Our first event was yesterday afternoon. We went bowling at World Bowling Center. It's a clean and open bowling center which is key with our kids.
It's nice to be a with a group of parents who understand what it's like to have a child with autism. What a difference to get a sympathetic glance instead of an evil one when a 7 year old has a meltdown. Or to feel like you're with parents who "get it" when you hear their child make a completely socially inapporpriate comment. As I looked around at the parents, though, we all look tired. More tired than I've noticed other parents looking, in fact, downright drained.

My children had fun especially once we were given a ramp for the kids to push a ball off. Lane even wanted to wear the shoes. The size 9 shoes, their smallest shoe available, were too large for her size 6 feet but it was soooo cute.
All in all, it was a nice family activity.
*on a side note, Flat Stanely joined us and got to hold a bowling ball too*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message, we are glad you stopped by!