Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Too good to be true...

Our great drop off and my hopes for a fantastic first day back after winter break were dashed. I went to the pick up area at 3:30. Alex made is way to me fairly quickly but I got anxious when it was 3:38 and I didn't see Gabriel.


Instead, I saw a visibly frustrated teacher walking next to Gabriel, holding his coat and backpack. Gabriel was yelling and throwing himself on the ground. I haven't seen this type of behavior from him at school this year and I was quite shocked. Apparently, the teacher was too because when they finally reached me (I don't dare walk past the gate since I am not allowed to without a visitor sticker), she said, "he's been like this all day."
All I could was respond with, "oh", in the most quiet, pathetic squeak. I was ready for a discussion about his behavior but instead, she thrust my son's items in my hands and said "have a good day." She turned around and left with a clear look of disdain on her face.
I stood there for a minute thinking she would turn around and discuss the days occurances with me. As a parent of a special needs child, I have no idea what happened or transpired during the day. Did he bite a child? Did he throw a fit every other miute? Did he refuse to cooperate?
I searched his backpack and found no clues. I checked my phone for missed calls or texts. Nothing.
I walked to the office with three children in tow, one complaining the entire way about how much he hates school. I asked for the special eduation coordinator/complaince person but she was ill. The principal was on car duty so I left a note regarding my concern.
In the meantime, I found a post it note in a folder that said he's having a difficult time transitioning so we won't do any goals this week. The principal called and told me that she was positive it was just a transition issue and everything would work out.
I know my child. I know my child well. It's not going to work itself out easily.
When I took the boys to school, Gabriel refused to get out of the van. We drove to the liason officer and principal and I told her that he would not get out of the van. Thankfully she talked him into going to her office with her and he left happily. I was ezhausted emotionally and physically by 9 am after that ordeal.
I received a note from the teacher asking that if I want to know any details of Gabriel's day, to get a hold of her. I did not feel like she was approachable at that moment but then I question if I went too far by contacting the principal but we are supposed to be a TEAM.
If I hadn't contacted her, she would have had no idea I needed assistance this morning. Yet, the lack of communication is concerning to me. Gabriel is with one teacher, two co-teachers, two therapists, a reading teacher, and more throughout the day and yet I hear very little about his day from any of them.
Tomorrow is Thursday and the third day back to school. I hope things are better. I know the transition back to school and the drastic change in temperature are not easy for him. I also think the teacher was thrown for a loop because she's never seen this behaviour from him. I think it's easy for people to forget that it's not his fault. Gabriel isn't being naughty at those moments and it's not due to poor parenting. It's just AUTISM.
That damn ugly monster that rears its ugly head. He can leave again, I don't like him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message, we are glad you stopped by!