Sunday, March 10, 2013

Solar System - preschool learning


A couple weeks ago, Lane came home from school and colored a picture. I asked her to tell me about the picture and she told me that it was the solar system. I asked her to tell me more about the solar system. I wasn't sure if she was actually saying "solar system." Lane told me about planets and named Mars. She also told me about astronauts. I was quite impressed with her new knowledge.
To expand her knowledge and work on her interests, I searched for some solar system information that would work well for a three year old. I found a solar system preschool pack here: http://www.1plus1plus1equals1.net/2011/02/solar-system-preschool-beyond-pack/



First we worked on planets vs. not planets. She enjoys cutting, gluing, and sorting. We were able to incorporate new vocabulary in this short exercise. Note that Lane still picks purple paper for her projects.



While Lane was working on her sorting planet project, I laminated planets that are apart of the same unit. Lane put the planets in order by size.



Later in the day we were at the dance studio. We used that time to work on new vocabulary with Alex. It was a good way to have Alex practice reading challenging words. The children turned it into a game based on how many words they could identify correctly. We also put the planets in order by placement from the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message, we are glad you stopped by!