Saturday, March 2, 2013

Happy Birthday Dr Seuss (and Granny)





Today is the day we celebrate the birthdays of Dr. Seuss and Granny. Since Granny couldn't be here, we celebrated by getting DQ today. Maybe we can celebrate with her in person next year.



I introduced Lane to the concept of an author by telling her about Dr. Seuss's birthday. On a funny note, she calls him "Dr. Sushi." With his whimical writing, I believe he would have found that amusing. It might have made a rather neat book.
Lane completed each Dr. Seuss task quickly. I couldn't print the ideas and sheets fast enough for her. The first thing we worked on was a paper Cat in the Hat hat. I printed a hat from this site: http://www.abcteach.com/search.php?include_clipart=0&sort=&q=cat+in+the+hat&search=searching...&category=0&file_type=0&include_phrase=&exclude_keywords= I cut it out with her and then she added red stripes by gluing red poms to the hat.



Next we worked on color words and numbers by printng a fish bowl sheet from this site: http://www.classroomfreebies.com/2012/02/fish-math-with-dr-seuss.html We colored fish together and wrote numbers that cooresponded to the number of fish in each bowl.



Our last activity was from this site: http://livingmontessorinow.com/2012/02/28/montessori-inspired-dr-seuss-activities-and-dr-seuss-linky-party/ I printed the 1 Fish 2 Fish worksheet for her. She picked the purple dotter to make the fish in the fish bowl. After the two one-to-one coorspondence (counting) activitie, I realized that it is too easy for her. The activiites are good for working on her fine motor skills but she has moved on to simple addition and subtraction.



I also found free Dr. Seuss thank you cards here: http://mypaperlily.blogspot.com/2010/12/free-printables-dr-seuss-is-man.html I asked the boys to write thank yous to someone at school. Gabriel's teacher was on vacation so he chose to write a thank you to a friend who gave him a dog toy. Alex wrote a thank you to his teacher. I made suggestions on what would be an appropriate thank you. He liked, "thank you for giving me homework." I wonder if she has ever gotten a thank you for homework in her 26 years of teaching experience?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message, we are glad you stopped by!