Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Here we go to another dr appt


When we lived in Iowa, I felt like I lived at therapy and doctors offices. Gabriel had occupational and hippo therapy several times a week. On top of his therapy appointments, Lane had physical therapy and feeding therapy. The kids had wellness checkups, cardiology appointments, dental cleanings. and developmental appointments.  
From my experience, young children with autism are often hurt. We had to take Gabriel in for stitches when he fell into the book case.  He stuck a rock in his nose one day at school and that meant another visit the doctor. Another day he quickly drank water purifier for fish. 
Then there were the trips to the emergency room in the middle of the night. You know you've been in the ER too often when you know the ER doctors names. Lane had a lung virus as an infant and ended up in the hospital for several days, Alex had pneumonia as a toddler, and both boys had febrile seizures. 
I knew our doctors and therapists well. So well that our doctor told me that the good ones always move and gave me a big hug. I adored our pediatrician.  I could call and tell him that my kids had pink eye and he would call in a prescription rather than make me trot into the office again. He made me laugh easily about the craziness of parenting and he held me when I couldn't hold back the tears in his office Our occupational therapist attended our farewell party. I honestly miss them even two years later. They became part of the working cog of our family 
Now that Gabriel is older, our trips to the doctor are fewer and his therapy has changed to group activities. We still travel to the child development center though. It's almost an hour away and I am grateful my kids are able to entertain themselves with the toys there. I'm also glad they aren't too phased by the experience 




If you know a family with a special needs child, please know that this is our life.  We see doctors and therapists far more often than anyone else can imagine. We want to join our friends in other activities, but we don't have the extra time. We miss out and we don't necessarily want to but we have to do what we think is best for our children. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message, we are glad you stopped by!