Friday, June 7, 2013

Two IEPs


After the school denied any accommodations or services to Alex last year, I asked for an independent evaluation (IEE).  The school district agreed that Alex's evaluation were inaccurate and agreed to pay for his evaluations. 
He had ASD (autism) and speech evaluations performed and completed  by the end of August last year.  He was found to have deficits in language. I asked when the school would have a meeting regarding Alex's evaluations several times through the school year and we never had a meeting. 
When I found out that the school should have had a meeting in 60 days, I filed a state complaint. The district and school finally held an eligibility meeting for Alex.  He was found eligible for a 504 plan but we agreed to more evaluations.  Unfortunately there was only a week of school left and the evaluations needed to be accomplished quickly in order to have another meeting by the last teachers day on Friday. 
After many emails back and forth, we were able to schedule a meeting on Friday, the last day for teachers, at 1 pm.  As a committee of a parent, a general education teacher, a special education teacher, an advocate, a district compliance representative, a district speech therapist, and a district school psychologist we were able to determine Alex was eligible for an IEP - an individualized education program.  It helped that he has a diagnosis of ADHD and anxiety (OCD). After proving that his disability impacts his education, Alex has an IEP. 
So why did I cry while we signed the IEP paperwork? It was culmination of a year and a half battle.  It was realizing that I know more than some people receiving a salary for dealing with IEPs and 504s.  People who have worked in education and with special needs students for years should have more knowledge than I do.  It was the realization that I have spent years fighting to figure out why Alex processes things differently than other children.  I heard that he's "just a boy", "follows his brother's lead", "just immature", and more.  I knew better and I've been seeking help for him since he was three years old.  He turns 7 in August.  Other parents might have given up and turned off that intuition. 
I haven't.  

So I cried.   It's been a battle for my child.  Is there anything more important for a parent to fight for? I would argue no. 
I also cried because I had to fight for something I didn't really want.  I wanted him to have help but I didn't want him to have a disability.  I had to prove it, over and over again.  It's painful. No parent wants to see their child struggle. I had to state many times that my child deserves help. I had to admit many times that I have not one but two sons with special needs. I've been playing with the statement for a while. Medically, I've known for a while that I have two sons with disabilities.  Educationally, it was written on paper. Finally. 
I have two sons.  Two sons with disabilities.  Two sons with disabilities and IEPs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message, we are glad you stopped by!