Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Gabriel has autism

This morning was a rough one. Most mornings are tough because the kids aren't overly cooperative when getting ready. Today, though I had to hide my tears and walk away from the kids while they ate breakfast.

Gabriel hit his head repeatedly and BEGGED us to get rid of his autism. It about killed me. If he only knew how much I would love that for him. What I would do to get rid of it for him!
Yes, I love Gabriel for who he is and what he can do. I just wish we didn't have this ugly demon called Autism chasing us everywhere. As he gets older, it's becoming more obvious that he isn't typical. It hurts. I don't always like explaining that he has autism but I need to in certain situations.
I need to advocate for my son. I need to help educate other people. I need to make it a friendlier, more tolerant place for my son to live. If I don't do it, no one will. It's at those moments, several times, every day that AUTISM rears its ugly head.
So Gabriel continued to beg us to get rid of his autism this morning. It broke my heart. He came up with a creative solution to his problem - cut off his head and replace it with a new one. (sigh)
I think we moved on by the time we buckled everyone in the van. He was munching happily on a cucumber and parsnip. He wants to be in second grade and he wants me to pick him up early from school. I simply say "ok" to avoid a meltdown. Thank goodness he can't tell time yet.
I wasn't prepared for this conversation today. I didn't know it would ever come up. At least I'll be more prepared next time.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jess. You are so strong and you are a wonderful mother. I can tell that in the short time we have known each other. I can only imagine how challenging mornings like this must be. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending all kinds of love to you today and always. You ARE a strong and amazing mother, I just wish you didn't have to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just heartbreaking!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are amazing and so are you kiddos! Hugs to all of you, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message, we are glad you stopped by!