Thursday, July 4, 2013

My first flight!

On December 1, 2012, I flew a plane! The Christmas before, Andrew gave me a gift certificate to fly an airplane and it took almost a year for me to schedule it. When we arrived, I found out that I could have passengers in the plane with me. Gabriel had no interest in joining me, but Alex and Lane quickly jumped at the opportunity. 


It was a small plane, smaller than anything I had been in before. I kept a courageous front but I was shaking inside! 


I learned a lot of information about how to fly a plane. The actual pilot had a wealth of information for me. I spent the evening preparing by watching videos and learning terms and aerodynamics. 




Once we took off, the kids laughed and started getting silly. Alex wondered when snacks would be served by a flight attendant. Once the pilot turned if their ability to talk to us, they were more serious. Lane even fell asleep for a while. 


I was given control of the steering wheel and the pedals.  Holy smokes - it was exhilarating.  Words can not describe how amazing it was to fly an airplane.  I am rarely physically nervous but I was shaking!
We flew over Disney where the kids looked at landmarks they knew from a completely different perspective. 




I have an hour and a half to use toward my pilots license. I'm unsure if and when I will pursue the license. It is slightly cost prohibitive. It was an incredible experience and one I hope to conquer again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message, we are glad you stopped by!