Friday, July 12, 2013

Parenting and social media

A good friend of mine recently posted a photo of her sixth grader at the orthodontist.  It was hilarious. There was some chatter about whether her beautiful daughter would be embarrassed by the photo and my friend reassured everyone that she asked permission prior to posting the photo on Facebook. 
I was so impressed by her parenting. There are always embarrassing moments that happen in families.  I can think of a ton of hilarious moments off the top of my head that I've shared at dinner parties with close friends and relatives.  However I can't bring myself to share them on my blog because I don't want to embarrass my children. Sometimes I worry that sharing our personal struggles with special needs is just that, personal. But if I don't share the ugly and the painful moments, I also don't think I am being the advocate I am meant to be in this life. 
I want to look back at my children's progress and exclaim, "look how far we've come!!" 
There are moments and memories that I sit and think about for months at a time.  I sincerely have no interest in ridiculing my dear children. I have read blogs where parents have zero regard for how their child will feel when they read their writing.  How sad for that child. 
I also don't want to paint a one sided pretty roses view of life. While we are extremely blessed, we are also struggling and also learning new things with the hands we have been dealt. I am learning how to handle it gracefully daily. Thank you for sharing this journey with us. If I ever stray from these ideals, please kindly remind me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message, we are glad you stopped by!