Thursday, August 30, 2012

Dreaded Sight Words

Sight words are a constant challenge at our house. The boys don't have a curiosity or love of learning sight words. In order to alleviate the stress and anxiety for them, I try new ways to introduce new words to them. I've made flash cards on a ring and that worked for a while. I made a sticker book which was a lot of fun but it requires many small stickers. I've also tried magnets words that I bought at the learning store and a big poster with their weekly words. This week I found a new idea from a game that I tweaked for our use and the boys like it so far. Time will tell just how long this idea will hold their interest. I printed a list of their words and cut them into small pieces
Then I glued the words to colorful craft sticks, making sure any color sight words were not on the same color stick. No cheating allowed in this house! This task was actually annoying and tedious to me until I figured out the best way to apply the glue which is to the stick, not to the paper.
I put all of the sticks in a red (for Gabriel!) Solo cup and whala - a new way to learn sight words. They like pulling the words out for the surprise factor and then they get excited to tell me the word.

1 comment:

Please leave a message, we are glad you stopped by!