Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun!

After I got over the shock of hearing that we were having a girl, I dreamt about what it would be like to raise a girl. I will admit that it took me quite a while to get to the dreamy stage. At that point, I had 2 and 4 year old boys, a boy fish, a boy cat, and two boy dogs. There was a lot of testotrone in our home and I was not expecting to hear "you're having a girl." Besides, teenage girls frighten me. I dreamt about baby dolls, pink dresses, and tea parties. I dreamt about painting paper and little fingernails. Then I thought that she might not be a girly girl because she has two older brothers. Maybe she would only like cars and trains like her brothers? There's absolutely nothing wrong with that but then my image of a girl was changed in just a few minutes. Maybe she would be a girl who liked football? Or Nascar? Could girly girls like all of these things? Probably. It didn't matter because I have a girly girl and she proclaimed it this morning. As we were playing with her Cinderella doll and she was dressed in a Belle hand-me-down costume over her dress, she brought me pink nail polish to make her fingers and toes pretty. It was then that I remembered my dreams of what having a little girl would be like and that dream was a reality. These sweet moments of parenting blow me away. Lane has greenish blue eyes, shoulder length blonde curly hair, and a personality that is sweeter than anyone I have ever met. I am in awe of her. In awe that I was given this great responisibility of raising her to become a productive, critical thinking adult one day. She spoke to her baby doll and told her, "I love you more than you will ever know. Sweet dreams beautiful." Those are my words and I get choked up when I realize she is comprehending and sharing those words. Maybe one day she will have her own children and share the same thing with those children, my grandchildren? Maybe she will have a daughter and paint her fingernails and tell her that she is smart, funny, athletic, and pretty? And maybe my granddaughter will look at her with a big 3 year old smile and say, "I'm just pretty." just like my daughter does. I didn't think I was ready to be a mom of a girl but I am so very grateful I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message, we are glad you stopped by!