Monday, August 13, 2012

Lane fell

In early May, Lane fell head first into the hard section of the couch. Immediately after hitting her head, she quit breathing, turned bluish-purple and twitched. It was a horrific site but one I saw about a year prior.
Our pediatrician was about to close and
told me to keep an eye on her. After she her color returned, she acted like her two year old self and I wasn't concerned.
I woke up several times and checked on her and she seemed okay. Until morning came...
Lane vomited throughout the day and slept most of the day away. She gave up regular napping almost a year ago so this lethargy was unlike her.
We ended up at the emergency department that evening when she didn't get better. The doctor was glad I brought her in and ordered a CAT scan. I was fearful that there was a brain injury of some sort. I know it's rare to have a brain injury from this type of fall, but given the vomiting and other issues, I wasn't sure.
Lane was very brave and the lethargy
helped. She held my hand during the CAT scan and remained still. The diagnosis was a concussion with a virus. Whew
The surprise came when I opened the hospital bill. We are lucky and only have to pay $200 for the visit. The short visit cost $3759.80 - $2040 for the CAT scan alone. I don't know families without insurance would afford an ER visit like this one. I wonder if I will ever be less surprised by hospital bills. So far, each one seems to throw me a curve ball.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message, we are glad you stopped by!