Sunday, May 1, 2011

Mai Three Flowers

My three flowers at the Children's Farmstead in Kansas City on April 26, 2011

My children love dirt. They love to feel it, play in it, create with it, and sometimes they eat it too. Andrew and I thought creating a garden with them would be perfect this year. All of them enjoy being outside and we have a little area on the side of the shed begging for our attention.
Andrew took the boys to the store to get plants and more dirt. He also got a manual tiller. I wanted to rent a tiller but we realized that hauling it up and down the back steps might be more work than it was worth.
We envisioned all five of us creating our chemical free garden. A few times a week we could check on our strawberries, pumpkins, cucumbers, peppers, and tomatoes and maybe even pick some things to eat. Andrew and I thought the kids would help dig holes and put the plants in the dirt with us.
We were greatly mistaken. What really happened? Alex and Lane colored with chalk and Gabriel played with Moon Sand while Andrew and I worked on the garden. About a quarter of the way through we looked at each other and decided that we really hate gardening. The Farmer's Market is a much better way for us to go. Oh well, like parenting, we're committed now and there's no turning back.
Bring on the tomatoes and strawberries - I can't wait to see the "fruits of my labor."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message, we are glad you stopped by!